Abraham Fouse was born April 6, 1820 at the Fouse homestead in Huntingdon, Huntingdon Co., Pennsylvania. His parents were Jacob Fouse and Elizabeth (Miller) Fouse. Buried along with Abraham Fouse is his wife Mary Ann (Rudy) Fouse, a son Jacob Fouse and a daughter Elizabeth Fouse. The graves are located at the Greenlawn Cemetery, Uniontown, Ohio. Jacob and Elizabeth Fouse moved to Ohio, soon after their marriage in June, 1814, and settled on the west side of Congress Lake, Stark County, Ohio. They were members of the Reformed Church of Uniontown, OH.
Clover Creek German Reformed Church
Jan 2, 1832, the Fouse children and some neighbors met and entered into an agreement to build a German Reformed Church on the old homestead in honor of Nicholas Fouse and Margaret (Brumbaugh) Fouse. Frederick and Theobald agreed to five the ground for the church and graveyard site, besides paying their pledges.
The church was built in 1832, rebuilt and enlarged in 1853 (named Salem Reformed Church), of brick 40 x 60. Frederick and Adam Fouse were the building committee, and the structure was dedicated Oct, 1853. Rev. Henry Harbaugh, D.D., preached the dedication sermon, and was assisted by the pastor, Rev. Theobald Fouse and Rev. F.A. Rupley, D.D.
The foundation unfortunately settled and a larger brick church, two stories high was built on the new site in 1884, during the pastorate of Rev. J. David Miller. The dedication sermon was preached by Rev. I.N. Peightel, assisted by the pastor and Rev. F.A. Rupley, D.D. The building committee this time was Adam Garner Fouse, George Greaser, S.B. Isenberg, and John M. Rhoades.
This third building erected on the site donated from the original Fouse homestead for church purposes and in which Adam, the sole survivor of the family, was permitted to worship to the time of his death, May 5, 1887, On May 7th, his remains were laid at rest in the adjoining cemetery, where two sisters, Margaret and Catharine and two brothers, William and Frederick and many of their children, had already been buried. Nicholas and his wife Margaret, rest in the lot purchased by the former in 18709.
Theobald and Jonathan rest in the Reformed Church yard near Marklesburg, Huntingdon Co., Pa; and John rest in the Union Church yard at Uniontown, Stark Co, Ohio; and Elizabeth in the Union Church yard (Snyder's) near Cairo, Stark Co, Ohio. Inmost cases husbands and wives rest side by side, and all the graves are plainly and neatly marked by marble monuments or tombstones.
Theobald Fauss (Fouse) was born in 1725 and died in 1765 at the age of 40. He lived in Rheinville, Rheinfelz, Bavaria. About 1746, Theobald married Margaret (last name not known) and moved to Deux Ponts or Zweibrucken. They had four boys and one girl. The family arriving in this country kept the name Fauss. The German community continued to follow the German language in their community. The revised spelling of the name originated through Mr. Henry Beaver (Blair County, PA) who was the first to teach English in the schools. He seems to have followed the sounds rather than the letters. Once the English form was introduced, it was readily accepted. The children of Theobald Fauss were Nicholas, born in 1748, Jacob, Valentine, Theobald and Margaret. These were rough time for the provinces along the Rhine. The Seven Years' War was going on between 1756 and 1763. The many conflicts for territorial aggression and the religious prosecution of the war-ridden provinces, left the citizens in destitute circumstances. At the time of Theobald's death, 1765, he left a widow and five children to eke out an existence as best they could. Nicholas, the oldest, was confirmed 1762 in one of the Reformed churches in Zweibrucken. All the children stood by their mother until her death in the early part of 1784.