The Village of Marlboro was formed in November, 1827. The settlers of the village and locality were largely Quakers, many of them well educated. The heads of families were all ambitious to see their children get a good education so that they could carry on the level participation that the Quaker families had been use to. First schoolhouses in the Quaker area were established before the 1820's. Schools became so improved and advanced by the Friends that by the 1850's, Marlboro Union School drew students from beyond the limits of Ohio itself. Source: History of Stark County, Ohio, Vol 1.