Huston Township, Blair County, PA
Post date: Apr 24, 2010 2:39:45 PM
Map of Huston, circa 1873
Rebecca Furnace was on Clover Creek in Huston Township. It was the third furnace in Blair County and was built in 1817 by Dr. Peter Schoenberger, who later became the most prominent iron master in Pennsylvania. Other iron works closely followed Rebecca in this area. Dr. Schoenberger also owned ironworks in Bedford, Cambria, Indiana, Westmoreland, Lancaster, Mercer, Allegheny and perhaps other counties, and in Wheeling, West Virginia. It was in a dangerous condition and was pushed over in the late 1950''s and now is just a pile of stone and rubble. However the large iron masters estate home (the original home of Edward Lytle Sr.) continues in use.
Directions (Furnace GPS coordinates N40º 19'.354' W078º 15.981')
Follow PA164 from Roaring Springs east through Martinsburg to the village of Clover Creek and junction with SR2011, or Clover Creek Road. N40º 18.410' W078º 16.955'
. Turn north on Clover Creek Road for 1.42 miles to Rebecca Furnace Road (T342). N40º 19.503' W078º 16.197'
. Turn east on Rebecca Furnace Road (T342?) which runs downhill to the east. After 1/4 mile this road makes a sharp right turn. There is a red brick house to the right in the bend, as well as a white house and radio broadcasting station on the left after the bend. N40º 19.344' W078º 16.108'
Neither of the occupants of these homes are the owners of the property beyond the fence between the bend and the creek. The property is posted, but we walked through a gate where a farm road goes down across Clover Creek and approached an old barn structure to the right of the farm road. To the right of the barn is the flat mound of slag, rubble and stones which are all that remain of Rebecca furnace. The location of Rebecca was verified by the owners of the large home, about a ¼ mile or more to the south built in 1830, which was the home of the former furnace manager Edward Lytle Sr. A long millrace and dam extend to the south, as well as at least one small structure from the iron making community.